I Give My Life To YouRelationship with God
My heart to you
You’re all I need
Come and make me new
I love these lyrics from Elevation Worship’s song; Give My Life To You. I could play it round and round all day long because it resounds with my faith so much; living life in total surrender to God’s will and purpose. In fact it is one my favourite things to do when worshipping, to continually recommit my whole life to God’s will and purpose.
This is how I do it, and I would encourage you to try it:
- During worship I close my eyes and extend my hands, not because it is a prescribed method but there is a freedom in physical expression.
- I begin to think of my life right now, all the things that I do and the things that are part of it.
- I then look straight ahead in my mind’s eye, as if I had blinkers on, and I make God what I focus on and think about.
- He becomes my only focus and desire in that moment, where everything else simply falls by the wayside.
- In that moment of devotion I reconfirm that God and his will for me is my SOLE purpose in life.
- I make it clear to myself that nothing else matters compared to serving my God.
- …in short, I sign myself up for a life of service in his Kingdom.
There is something very powerful in the active and complete surrender to God. When we empty ourselves out, give everything we’ve got and offer ourselves up to God…he loves it! God loves us giving ourselves to him. Paul urges us to offer ourselves as living sacrifices to God as an act of holy worship. When we do, it pleases him greatly.